[arin-ppml] simple question about money

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Jun 11 08:46:58 EDT 2008

> Randy since the RIRs were established, tens of thousands of new
> operationally independent ISPS have been established.
> Granted, lots have since been acquired and merged into yet larger ISPs
> -- some of which were/are pre-Internet incumbents, some of which are
> incumbents of our very own -- but that's not something that's affected
> by address policy one way or another (except maybe to delay what would
> have happened anyway as a result of market power, increasing returns
> to scale, etc.).
>
> So, if you believe that address policy itself has been a barrier to
> entry, how many address resource recipients *should* there be? How
> many are missing? How much *more* decentralized should our industry be
> today relative to all of the others?

	Tom,

	put on your academic hat and play the decentralization game...
	go grab the skitter graph::
	http://www.caida.org/research/topology/as_core_network/2007/
	and -remove- paths through the top 5 ASNs.
	Will your Internet experience be affected? If so, how and why?
	Can you replicate the mesh w/ massive peering on a local scale?

	One thing that I beleive you (and others) are conflating is
	access to address space and entries in some mythical "global
	routing table".  Just because some small player in Los Angeles
	gets a /28 for their needs (and have agreements w/ their peers
	to carry routes for that /28), is no reason Telia to be forced
	to carry that discreate /28.

	Your use of IP space does -NOT-  automatically equate to a
	slot in my routing table, either as a discreate entry or an
	aggregate.

> TV

--bill