[arin-ppml] IPv6 in the Economist

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Tue Jun 10 16:59:30 EDT 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 Matteson_Mike at emc.com wrote:

> There has been little worth devoting the bandwidth this has taken up
> in recent days,

Actually, there has been some significant discussion on the subject of
IPv6 flaws. Compare the discussion between myself and Leo Bicknell.  Of
course, certain persons are opposed to any substantive discussion of
IPv6 flaws and they disrupt any discussion of policy implications of
those flaws.  Indeed, their past success at such disruption is the
reason for the flaws have persisted so long.  So if honest people want
to discuss IPv6 flaws and the policy implications of those flaws, please
continue, and please ignore the dishonest personal attacks on me. So
anyway, hopefully, we can learn as much as possible from these last few
days.

In the last couple days, there has been a number of irrational and angry
attacks on me, as is all too typical.  While this one raised my
eyebrows, I don't take them very personally---I merely have to refute
them to discredit the promoter and to make sure that people don't get
the wrong impression from false claims. But I think the people making
those attacks have been discredited sufficiently, even though they keep
making additional false accusations. I think they can be ignored for a
while.  I think it is pretty obvious that I am not anti-American, that
it is obvious that I am not anti-ARIN.  And I think it is plain that
discussing IPv6 flaws and policy implications is neither anti-American
nor anti-ARIN.  But this is the sort of shrill kind of exaggeration and
fabrication that is typical of a particular group.  In this case,
asserting that I am racist or anti-American, or anti-ARIN is 'pretty far
out in the weeds', as it were.

Indeed, I am _FOR_ good and honest governance of ARIN and I am not alone
in that goal.  We are opposed to people who are dishonest and engage in
transparently despicable lies. These last few days is just another
example.

Compare this:

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> since Jeremiah Wright Jr. WAS NOT accused of being a racist.

With this:

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Notably, Obama was the ONLY person to accuse Wright of being racist.

So apparently, Mittelstaedt inconsistently concedes that Wright was
indeed accused of being racist (which was the widely reported
accuastion) even if he was also accused of something else.  Such
illogical and inconsistent claims are unfortunately all too typical of
this particular group and pervades more than just their personal
attacks. Similar inconsistency pervades their technical arguments and
plans as well.  But for me and others who have to argue the technical
details, it is much harder to explain the technical issues to a
non-technical group of decision makers.

		--Dean

617 344 9000