[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Dedicated IPv4 block to facilitate IPv6 deployment

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Jun 8 22:50:57 EDT 2008

> my concern is, we're not there today.  a policy that said folks could get
> /28's for use in v4/v6 gateways might not be attractive or even useful, if
> these prefixes wouldn't get good reachability.  and while i agree that a
> well reasoned policy in this area would have the effect of changing the
> internet's route filtering culture, i think early adopters might feel some
> fear, and this fear might be well founded if it takes a while for prefix
> length filterers to adjust to the new policy.  so, i'm suggesting that the
> reachability of these prefixes be measured and reported, and compared to
> the reachability of older, larger, more stable prefixes.  this could be
> done not just once, but periodically, and so detect any trends.

we have written the code to do this and are verifying the quality of the
methods used (and that is turning out deliciously well!).  the first
version of the code is already in arin's hands.  (for the state a year
or more ago, see apricot and inm papers)

so far, it has been used to test the reachability, and causes of lack
thereof, of space newly assigned to arin by the iana.  i am not
impressed by the state of filtering on the net.  but detecting the
filters sure makes the code look good :).

randy