[ppml] News Article on IP addresses as personal data, according to EU privacy group

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Jan 22 14:35:15 EST 2008

> BRUSSELS -- IP addresses, strings of numbers that identify
> computers on the Internet, should generally be regarded as
> personal information, the head of the European Union's group
> of data privacy regulators said Monday."

For some background read Example #15 in this document:
<http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2004_2009/documents/dv/opinion_0
4-2007_personal_data_/Opinion_04-2007_personal_data_en.pdf> Peter Scharr
is the Chairman of the group which produced this document.

The full program of the hearing is here:
<http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2004_2009/documents/dv/programme
_rev2_0/programme_rev2_0EN.pdf>

There is no transcript of the meeting and no submission from Peter
Scharr or the German data protection agency so I assume that the
reported comments came during some discussion of Google's submission
which is here:
<http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2004_2009/documents/dv/google_pr
ivacy_booklet_pfleischer_/Google_Privacy_booklet_PFleischer_en.pdf>

--Michael Dillon