[ppml] [arin-discuss] /29 limit for ARIN SWIP whois

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Jan 9 13:40:53 EST 2008

In a message written on Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 01:17:21PM -0500, mcr at xdsinc.net wrote:
>   Cool. So, will this policy change identify:
> 	a) which police I call.

I suggest using your local phone book for, City, County, and State
Police/Sherrif/Constables, and FBI offices near you.  Your local
district attorneys may also be interested.

> 	b) what are the infractions.
> 	   (is lack of a reverse an infraction?
> 	    Is failing to observe my SLA with my transit ISP an infraction?)

I suggest you contact your lawyer on what may constitute criminal
and/or civil actions.

>         c) who these police are going to funded.

Funding for these people are already in place via a mechanism
favorable to the local government, typically taxes.

> 	d) will there be an open market for providing these "police" services

No, these police are given special powers as a matter of law.  If
you want others to have these powers you will have to change the
law.  For that I would point you to your local legislature.

> 	e) who do I get IP-police credentials anyway?

If you want to be part of the police force I believe they all have
information on how to submit a job application, or volunteer.  Each
agency has it's own rules, you should contact them.

In the long run, I suspect having scammers convicted of fraud,
spammers convicted of violation of the CAN SPAM act, and child
molesters guilty of COPA violations (or worse) and putting them in
prision will do far more to solve the problem than having vigilanties
work on getting them booted off a particular ISP only to have them
appear wack-a-mole style on 10 more.

All we're managing to do now is to train them how to hide from whois
by using disposable accounts, providers who use DHCP, and other
mechanisms, all the while invading the privacy of millions of people by
posting name, address, and phone number details they probably aren't
even aware are online.