[ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-2: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Cliff Bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Thu Feb 28 10:11:33 EST 2008

I think the idea of this proposal is necessary but I don't think ARIN should
be in the business of assisting transfer sales of IP addresses unless they
have no assets to fill a legitmate request.  It may be implied somewhere that
ARIN will not allow a sale if they have assets available but I didn't see it.
Therefore I'm not convinced that "exhaustion of the IANA IPv4 free pool" is
the correct time.  I think transfer sales should start the first time ARIN
can't meet a legitmate request and even after that, should only be allowed
when ARIN doesn't have the particular size requested available.

Proposal 2007-17 is supposed to encourage asset holders to return unused
blocks but 2008-2 unless carefully managed could encourage hording in hopes of
future sales.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say in my prior post and I hope it's
clearer this time.

Cliff

--
Cliff Bedore
7403 Radcliffe Dr. College Park MD 20740