[ppml] IPv6 getting real: was Policy Proposal: IPv4 TransferPolicy Proposal

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sun Feb 17 14:47:22 EST 2008

On 16 feb 2008, at 7:16, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Is there traffic? Not that I have seen. Is there demand? Not that I
> have
> seen. Is there interest? At least a bit more than I typically see in
> the commercial Internet, but not a whole lot.

What I'm seeing is that about 0.1% of all hosts supports IPv6. That
means that the chance of a random data flow being between two IPv6
hosts is one in a million. In order to see a measurable amount of IPv6
traffic at least a few percent of all hosts must support IPv6.

Running IPv6 tomorrow makes no sense. But running IPv4 in 2020 doesn't
make any sense, either. At some point the unstoppable force will meet
the unmovable object.