[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Feb 11 20:34:29 EST 2008

Your relying on semantic games.  The intent and thrust of the
Board statement is pretty clear.  The intent and thrust of this policy
change is also pretty clear.  The two are at odds.

>Each entity using address space faces its own set of business and
>technical issues with migration, and to not consider the possibility
>of transfer policies which would improve the overall utilization of
>IPv4 address space

Nothing in the CURRENT method of return-issue blocks improvements
of the overall utilization of IPv4.

Transfers can also make it easier for problems with badly-utilized
space to be perpetuated, rather than addressed.

>would presume we know what's best on behalf
>of every ISP, hosting company, content provider, enterprise, etc.

That is irrelevant.

The highest incidents of color blindness in the general
population is red-green color blindness.  However, traffic control devices
use the colors red and green.  This makes your ordinary stop light
definitely not "the best" color choice for these individuals.  However,
red and green have the highest recognition among the general population
as "danger" and "safe" and as a result, we have "presumed that we
know the best" traffic control device color for every ISP, hosting
company, content provider, enterprise, etc.

It is unavoidable that any rule will affect some groups negatively.
That is not a reason for either implementing, or not implementing it.
We need to be looking at what is best for the Internet, not for
a subgroup of ISPs.

Your welcome to argue that migrating to IPv6 is not in the best interest
of the Internet.  Maybe it isn't, and we should forget it and be
concentrating on schemes to extend IPv4 indefinitely.

Ted