[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Feb 11 17:42:31 EST 2008

In a message written on Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 08:31:34PM -0300, Raul Echeberria wrote:
> If the transfer of legacy space is also admited,
> it has a great impact in other regions, since
> most of the unused space belonging to the legacy
> blocks, will feed regional markets in the
> developed countries. This is the promotion of
> regional markets instead of global markets.

Here are a few of the talking points the AC has considered.

- Since most of the legacy space is inside the ARIN region if
  it is kept inside the ARIN region then the ARIN region will
  have a much longer lifetime for IPv4 than other regions.

- Since legacy space is believed to be one of the larger sources
  of IPv4 resources allowing it to be transferred around the world
  would do the most good.

- If transfers between regions were allowed those in first world
  countries would likely buy all of the space from second and
  third world countries, as they have the money to do so.  This
  would shift the cost of transition to IPv6 onto those least
  likely to have the money to make the transition.  It also has
  a great potential to get world governments involved in the
  transfer process.

The last point is particularly interesting when you look at the
various RIR's.  Some have a mix of economies in them, others do
not.

Personally I am quite troubled by the results either way.  If someone
in a third world country can't get IP's because we don't allow them
to be transferred out of our region, that's bad.  If some large,
rich US corporation comes along and buys up all the IP's from a
third world country because it can, I think that's bad too.