[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-6: Emergency TransferPolicy

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Dec 30 22:54:18 EST 2008

> That is NOT a free market.  You cannot receive the numbers under this unless
> you show justification.  Those who want the numbers must justify their need
> AND find someone willing to provide them.

now that i am no longer on a handheld, i can point more definitively to
the proposal we just made in apnic, which has similar language.

the cover page is at
<http://www.apnic.net/policy/proposals/prop-067-v001.html>, and the
protein is in section 4.  excuse the waste of pixels, but it is small
enough that i will append it.

it is a bit complex, as it tries to address concerns raised in the apnic
region such as deaggregation, inter-region transfer, etc.  it also uses
british spelling :-)

note that, in the apnic process, like ripe's, we don't quibble over
wording.  we know we're operators not lawyers.  so we just try to get
the intent clear.

randy

---

4.1 An organisation may transfer:

     a. An intact allocated block

         - Allocated blocks smaller than the current minimum APNIC
           allocation size may also be transferred as an intact
           block.  For example, a legacy /24.

      b. One or more subnets of an allocated block, provided no
         subnet is smaller than the current minimum APNIC allocation
         size.

4.2 The recipient must be able to justify use of the transferred
     resources according to current APNIC allocation and assignment
     criteria.

4.3 Transfers between regions are permitted providing that:

     a. The organisation originating transfer of an address block
        must follow the policies of the originating RIR.

     b. The organisation receiving an address block must follow the
        policies of the receiving RIR.

4.4 The originating address holder must be the holder of record,
     whether a current member, historical, or otherwise.

4.5 If either the origin or recipient of the address block is in
     the APNIC region, they should be the holder of a current
     account in APNIC or the appropriate NIR.

4.6 If the originating address holder is in the APNIC region, they
     are prohibited from receiving more IPv4 address space, whether
     via transfer or directly from APNIC, for two years.

-30-