[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-6: Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Dec 29 19:18:21 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Member Services <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Policy statement:
>
> 8.4 Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses
>
> For a period of 3 years from policy implementation, ARIN-region number
> resources may be released, in whole or in part, to ARIN or another
> organization, by the authorized holder of the resource.
>
> Number resources may only be received under RSA, with demonstrated need,
> in the exact amount which they are able to justify under ARIN
> resource-allocation policies.

The language here seems labyrinthine, almost government-speak. Even
knowing that this was a transfer proposal, I had to parse it phrase by
phrase before I caught on that "or another organization" means you can
gift the released addresses to a specific registrant.

Shooting from the hip, I think I might have chosen language along the lines of:

For a period of 3 years from policy implementation, resource holders
served by ARIN may designate a recipient for number resources they
release to ARIN. ARIN will honor said designation provided the
recipient meets all other policy criteria for registering those
resources.

Which I hope actually means the same thing as the original policy
statement. If it doesn't then the policy text still confuses me.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004