[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-6: Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses

Bill Darte BillD at cait.wustl.edu
Tue Dec 23 15:31:32 EST 2008

Hello All,

I want to reiterate that Policy Proposal 2008-6 is about providing flexibility to the Board of Trustees as the IPv4 pool depletes and the real circumstances that attend that process become apparent.  It is also about establishing some progress toward shoring up and expanding upon ARIN's position vis-a-vis the current transfer policy in the face of such depletion as has been strenuously urged upon ARIN by it's legal counsel.

It does not intend to stop debate about the needs ARIN and the industry may face as time passes.  It is a 'stake in the ground' against which debate may continue.  If it needs strengthening or greater detail then that may be remedied by future policy or it may be completely obviated by better policy.  ARIN must decide the way forward through its policy proposal process and the engagement by all stakeholders in the process.  I urge each of you to be engaged.

Thank you all for your interest and involvement in ARIN and I look forward to seeing and/or working will you all in 2009.  I'm sure that I speak for all my colleagues on the Advisory Council when I remind you that each of us is interested in your comments both on and off list.

I wish everyone safe and happy holidays!

Bill Darte
ARIN AC