[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Depleted IPv4 reserves

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Dec 3 14:28:23 EST 2008

> Who in their right mind
> is going to contact every AS in the world and ask "pretty
> please, will you configure every BGP speaking router you have
> to accept my /26 because I'm special?"

For a technical person you seem shockingly unaware of how
things really work. In fact, ARIN makes an announcement that
in this certain /9 block, the minimum allocation size will be
/26 and ARIN expects to begin allocations from that block soon.
The announcement will go to all the usual places that ARIN and
the other RIRs announce when they are opening up a new /8.

Many ISPs will then adjust their filters accordingly, and some
people will set up special test servers that can be used to
find out whose filters are broken.

> Their ISP is going to
> say "we're announcing it, tough luck if the rest of the world
> won't see it". Who does that help except cause mass
> frustration? And since it's an "IPv6 transition network" the
> uninitiated are going to blame IPv6 as something that doesn't work.

You are making too many assumptions here, most of them incorrect.
The fact is that ARIN has no control over ISP policies,
nevertheless ARIN has regularly changed the way that they
allocate addresses and ISP policies *HAVE* been adjusted to
fit. It's not painless but it does work eventually.

--Michael Dillon