[arin-ppml] Stepping forward, opening my mouth and removing all doubt about

Alain Durand alain_durand at cable.comcast.com
Wed Aug 27 11:55:17 EDT 2008

On 8/27/08 11:24 AM, "William Herrin" <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> The proponents of a liberalized transfer policy say that the inability
> to get new address from ARIN will bring a market into being regardless
> of what ARIN does. It falls to ARIN to determine what the constraints
> on the market process will be. Should it fail to act, ARIN will lose
> its relevance as a resource steward and registry. Address assignment
> will devolve into a poorly documented black or gray market process in
> which everybody gets hurt.
>
> The opponents of a liberalized transfer policy say that everybody
> should just switch to IPv6 which won't have this problem for many
> decades. Liberalizing the transfer policy would dilute the urgency
> behind deploying IPv6 and bring about all the problems the existing
> transfer policy is designed to prevent, like route disaggregation and
> hording. Everyone would be hurt by that in the end.

Then there is also those who say, me included, that a liberalized transfer
policy will not solve the problem at all. Recent ARIN stats showed that most
addresses have been allocated in large or very large blocks. This is a
direct consequence of the market concentration. Other recent data showed
that what would be potentially available via a liberalized transfer policy
would mostly be legacy Bs & Cs. Those blocks are simply too small to meet
the global demand.

  - Alain.