[arin-ppml] Stepping forward, opening my mouth and removing all doubt about

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Wed Aug 27 10:36:54 EDT 2008

how clueless I am.

At some point, I joined this list because something I was doing related to it.
In the course of time, either from membership here or because I'm the Tech POC
for 12 Class Cs, I got the transfer policy questionnaire, and I rarely felt my
ignorance so keenly.  I had only the vaguest idea of what the questions meant,
much less having an informed opinion of them.  I spent some time over the next 3
days flogging Google and www.arin.net to try to educate myself.  At the end of
that exercise, I understood something about questions and was able to respond to
them....but I really never did find much that spoke clearly and unequivocally on
what they were about.  Why wasn't there a linked resource explaining the
background of each question, the pros and cons or each side?  All the
documentation I could find was scattered here and there and was colorless and
passive-voiced...like reading a telephone book....yes, there was data but what
did it mean?
What is a liberalized transfer policy?  Whose ox is getting gored?  I guess this
is a minefield and perhaps saying anything would precipitate a flame-war, but
what doc there was related poorly or in such an inobvious way that it didn't
make much clear.  Like presenting a Noh play in Wichita...*whatever* are those
people doing and talking about????

BTW, one of the problems about being sysadmin in a small shop is that you have
to be a Shiva Nataraja generalist in a world of rapidly expanding requirements
and areas of expertise...and unless you're a glow-in-the-dark genius with an
eidetic memory, your ignorance grows exponentially.

:(

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources