[arin-ppml] Results of Transfer Proposal Survey

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Aug 27 10:29:34 EDT 2008

> My only quibble with an otherwise very useful and important survey is
> that it was probably a mistake to bundle a question about seller
> authentication with a question about sellers signing a LRSA. If legacy
> holders want to get rid of addresses they are not using, short of good
> authentication ARIN shouldn't put any barriers at all in their way. A
> stubborn insistence on pushing legacy holders into contracts seems
> utterly pointless to me when the _recipient_ of the transferred
> addresses will of necessity be incorporated into the contractual
> regime,
> and so over time nearly all v4 address holders will come in.

Absent a contract with ARIN, what recourse would ARIN have if a
legacy holder engaged such a transfer, then, subsequently
reneged on their agreement? No contract in place pretty much
means no agreement from a legal perspective.

In my opinion, if we're going to do this, it is vital that ARIN have
a contract with both the transferor and the transferee.

Owen