[arin-ppml] Results of Transfer Proposal Survey

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Aug 26 15:21:16 EDT 2008

> This survey was biased from the beginning - it omitted one
> key question at the beginning:  Do you want a liberalized
> transfer policy at all?  That is why the number of persons
> responding from the PPL was so small - 11% - because if you
> were opposed a liberalized policy, you could see where the
> survey was going and undoubtedly most people opposed to
> a liberalized policy abandoned the survey before completion.

Actually, no.  We were trying to gauge what, if any, changes
to a liberalized transfer policy would make it palatable, and,
at the end, we specifically asked "If a proposal incorporated
your above feedback, would you support such a proposal?"

We put the question at the end of the survey, not at the beginning,
but, the question was, indeed, in there.

> In summary, while the survey illustrated the internal split
> within the pro-liberalization camp, it still doesen't tell us
> what is really important - how many people really are in favor
> of a liberalized policy.  It in no way indicates that there is
> a majority of people in favor of a liberalized transfer policy.

It at least tells us that a strong majority of respondents to the
survey are in favor of a liberalized transfer policy.  If you
are opposed to such a policy in general, then, I encourage you
to speak up on PPML and let us know.

Personally, I do not think a liberalized transfer policy is
a good idea.  As an AC member, I perceive a roughly 50/50
split between those in favor and those opposed with a
great deal of variation among those in favor as to what
kind of policy they want to see.

> A more even-handed and unbiased survey would have been more
> useful.

I'm sorry the survey was not to your liking, but, we really did
try to make it as even-handed as possible in the short time that
was available to craft the questions.  Remember, the survey
was crafted by a group of volunteers trying to gather data from
the community based on feedback already received and in order
to gain some insight into how we might better craft the next
revision of 2008-2.

The question of whether a transfer policy should exist at all or
not is one for this list and for the public policy meeting(s).
At the Denver meeting, there was certainly strong support
from the community to continue working on a transfer policy.

Owen