[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Annual WHOIS POC Validation

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Aug 26 13:39:59 EDT 2008

I agree, I was thinking of something along the same lines myself.
However I will leave it to Chris Grundemann to decide.

> This way no information is lost and it has a space in it so
> the resulting e-mail address is still invalid, and it makes
> no presumptions about the type of e-mail address was
> originally there.  Also, it would be easy to restore the
> address if it turns out that it is valid but the mail was
> getting spam-trapped or the recipient was on vacation or
> otherwise didn't see it promptly.

The "whois POC e-mail cleanup" proposal I submitted does not
have the same problem with people being on vacation - since
it is not customary for people to make all e-mail to themselves
to bounce, when they are on vacation.

> BTW, any kind of automatic second attempt at contacting the
> POC should use significantly different wording in case the
> original had fallen afoul of a Bayesian SPAM filter.
>
> I think the details should be left to the ARIN staff, though.
> Suggestions about specifics probably shouldn't be in the
> policy itself, but just in the rationale and the discussion.

If you have serious enough concerns about looking for e-mail
and support "whois POC e-mail cleanup" instead.

The proposals will be fundamentally identical with the exception
that Chris's proposal requires a response from the POC e-mail
address.  My proposal only requires that the POC e-mail address
be accepting mail, not that the POC actually responds.

Ted