[arin-ppml] ARIN's Authority - One view (was: Re: LRSA concerns)

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Aug 25 16:13:58 EDT 2008

> If you face a choice between managing extreme scarcity, with ever-
> diminishing returns, forever, or managing a transition to a state
> where this particular scarcity is no longer very challenging at all
> (esp. when there are others to worry about in either case),
> what makes the former strategy inherently superior?
>
> Without a transition strategy, there's no reason to assume the term
> for such requirements should be measured in years, or even decades.

Tom:
As I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, the entities who manage
the "transition" from IPv4 to IPv6 are network operators, not the RIRs.

We are not debating _whether_ there should be a transition strategy, we
are debating where it should be located.

If RIRs handle the address resources they have according to the
appropriate policies, operators can better decide for themselves when,
where and how they "transition to a state where [IPv4] scarcity is no
longer very challenging."

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology