[arin-ppml] Comprehensive Study Shows IPv6 Shift Isn't Happening

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Mon Aug 25 12:36:41 EDT 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

>  Under conditions of limited supply and high demand, the only thing
> more unpredictable, unstable and more likely to cause hoarding than
> a market is the absence of a market, (i.e., a decentralized transfer
> mechanism…

What's the difference between a "market" and a "decentralized transfer
mechanism"?
I believe the qualifiers for "market" that you chose to leave
unmentioned were "centralized", "stable", "predictable"...

Which is certainly understandable, since under conditions of limited
means (few compelling carrots, no sticks at all) to produce those
qualifiers, there's no practical difference at all.

> But have fun, go ahead and experiment with the idea of using chaos
> and artificial scarcity to “force” people into IPv6. I suggest we
> keep careful track of who promotes that idea so that when it fails
> and causes serious problems we can fully credit them with the results.

I have no doubt that all predictions will remembered well by many
parties.