[arin-ppml] ARIN's Authority - One view (was: Re: LRSA concerns)

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sat Aug 23 14:54:12 EDT 2008

On Aug 23, 2008, at 2:21 PM, Michael K. Smith wrote:

> I return to your email of the original relationship between ARIN and
> Legacy.
> ARIN agreed to provide services to Legacy space for WHOIS and in-
> addr.arpa.
> We should continue to do so.  Anything that happens with Legacy
> space vis a
> vis hijacking, buying and selling, etc. is outside of ARIN's roles and
> responsibilities.  We just assign and maintain records for the
> address space
> allocated to us by IANA.  Easy.

A simple, well-phrased position that would certainly make chairing ARIN
a lot easier :-)

There's an explicit assumption that our current responsibility "to
manage
and help conserve scarce Internet protocol resources" would be
addressed by
whatever market appeared outside of ARIN... i.e. I'm not sure our
mission
exactly lines up with that position, unless one has a *lot* of faith.

However, this is your (collective) organization, and things like
articles
of incorporation could be revised if that approach turns out to be the
best
way to achieve the overall goals.

/John