[ppml] Revision to 2008-3

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Apr 2 12:09:46 EDT 2008

On Apr 2, 2008, at 10:21 AM, Scott Leibrand wrote:

> Owen DeLong wrote:

> I'm still not sure I understand why it's so important to be
> exclusionary in policy on this issue.  It seems to me that, if we're
> creating a more restricted set of services (an assignment instead of
> allocation), but requiring a plan for the same number of customers
> (200) as under existing policy, that we should leave the rest of the
> qualifications open, allowing each type of organization free to
> choose which set of services makes more sense for them.

1.	I don't think that assignments are necessarily the correct answer
for community
	networks.

2.	Separate from the policy issue, I'd like to see the BoT be able to
put together
	some fee structures for community networks that provide more attractive
	(achievable) costs in appropriate circumstances while not providing a
free
	handout to just any random organization.

>> Personally, I am not yet convinced that community networks so much
>> need a policy change as they need an appropriate fee structure that
>> can recognize their "limited income" status while still treating them
>> appropriately as an LIR in the ARIN structure.
>
> I agree that it would be good to provide a reduced fee structure for
> community networks, and that such a structure should be limited to
> not-for-profit organizations providing nondiscriminatory network
> services to their community.  However, I think that for a community
> network to receive reduced fees, it should have to choose a reduced
> set of services (an assignment), so that ARIN isn't subsidizing such
> organizations by providing full LIR services at below cost.

We can agree to disagree on that.  I don't think that there is much of
a difference
from ARIN cost perspective between LIR and non-LIR services and that
by forcing
community networks into assignments, we actually do a greater
disservice to the
larger community while not actually implementing any meaningful
restriction on
the community networks themselves.

Owen