[ppml] Revised 2007-17

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Sep 15 11:42:34 EDT 2007

Based on input from the AC and comments on the mailing list, I have
decided to revise 2007-17.

Specific ideas incorporated into this proposal:
	1.	Specific fee statements removed.  Fees are not the realm
		of IRPEP, so, it is replaced with a requirement for the BoT
		to develop appropriate incentives.

	2.	An oversight in the original version did not provide a
		timeframe in which addresses were to be returned.
		This version adopts a 12 month timeframe with staff
		discretion for up to 2 extensions of 6 months each.

	3.	This proposal differs from the existing section 4.6 in
		that it places discretion over whether a subnet of
		a returned block may be retained or not in the hands
		of the address holder.  There was some suggestion
		from some AC members that this discretion should
		only be given to legacy holders while ARIN staff should
		retain discretion over non-legacy resources.  I do not
		have a strong opposition to such a change, but, I do
		feel that the policy is actually better as is, so, I have
		chosen not to add this revision.  I would like to see
		discussion on this area, and, if it is possible, I would
		like this version to allow the AC discretion to gauge
		consensus on whether this edit should be added
		prior to last call.

Revised proposal is as follows:

Policy Proposal 2007-17
Legacy Outreach and Partial Reclamation