[ppml] Policy Proposal -- Eliminate Lame Server policy

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Sep 12 03:50:44 EDT 2007

> First I want to ask for a definition of the "scope of Address
> Policy."

You are asking the wrong person. It is not Owen's definition which
matters, or mine. ARIN is a corporation and therefore it can only act in
accord with its charter and bylaws. Both of these are available to read
here:
http://www.arin.net/reference/index.html

> What I would be against is dropping any membership
> requirement on the staff to enforce clean health (lexically
> stretching "lameness") on the DNS systems operated by ARIN.
> I think it is incumbent upon ARIN not to refer DNS traffic to
> servers which answer "incorrectly."

Lexical stretching really is not allowed when interpreting policy.

And we have time and time again, pointed out that not all things done by
ARIN are driven by policy. Many things are done by order of the Board of
Trustees who can and do respond to suggestions. We even have an official
suggestion process here: http://www.arin.net/acsp/index.html
It says, among other things, that "The President will evaluate the
proposal, and will within ten (10) business days provide a response to
the submitter.".

--Michael Dillon