[ppml] Legacy /24s

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sun Sep 2 01:43:00 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Keith W. Hare" <Keith at jcc.com>
> And the cost of making a mistake on the security configurations is
> about $10 per exposed credit card number for a year's subscription
> to a credit report watch service, not to mention the cost of making
> the front page of the newspapers and computer trade press.

It was a PR cost when laws were first passed requiring notification.  Now,
security breach notices are so common that the media doesn't even bother
reporting them anymore except for the most extreme cases.  Until we get laws
requiring companies to pay non-trivial fines and/or restitution for each
record compromised, it'll remain a non-event.