[ppml] Legacy /24s

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Sun Sep 2 01:31:28 EDT 2007

On 9/2/07, Paul Vixie <paul at vix.com> wrote:
> > I pulled out and leafed through my old "Internet Protocol Next Generation"
> > book from 1997. Do you realize just how few of the design goals have panned
> > out operationally? Its appalling.
>
> yes, it is.  but from a policy standpoint, that doesn't matter.  we're going
> to run out of new ipv4 soon, and there are three ways to jump:
>
>         1. stop growing the network
>         2. dramatically increase NATism
>         3. use IPv6
>
> of the three, i like #4.

Paul,

I like option #29: IP extra large. If IP option header #29 is present
starting at the sixth word in the IPv4 header then the "source" part
of the IP header actually contains the four high-order bytes of the
64-bit IP destination address while the seventh and eighth words
contain the 64-bit source address.

I guess it would have been too easy to let us grow incrementally with
only changes on the software side of the house.

>  of the three we actually have, though, i pick #3.

Yeah, I can live with that. But I will gripe about it now and then.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us