[ppml] Effects of explosive routing table growth on ISP behavior

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Oct 31 02:46:39 EDT 2007

> Yes, explosive routing table growth would definitely a
> problem for everyone taking full BGP routes.  However, I
> think it's a problem that can be addressed, if/when
> necessary, by requiring that everyone announce their
> minimum-allocation-size covering aggregates, so that folks
> can filter out unnecessary deaggregates.

I don't believe that it is within the scope of ARIN's charter
to require this. The same topic recently came up within RIPE and
I had a look at their terms of reference and came to the same
conclusion.

As far as I can see, all decisions about route announcements
can be freely made by network operators and the only mechanism
for limiting this is bilateral peering agreements.

--Michael Dillon