[ppml] IPv4 address and routing slot markets

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Oct 30 04:30:29 EDT 2007

> Do you anticipate that the very large ISPs will drop out of
> the IPv4 DFZ any time soon?

The very large ISPs will be the last to drop out of the IPv4
DFZ sometime in about 20 years. What does this have to do with
IPv6? Nobody is shutting off existing IPv4 infrastructure until
long after IPv6 has become widespread.

> If they're putting all their new customers on
> v6, but others are expanding their v4 route announcements,
> that seems like a really good set of incentives to "filter
> and cut off a bunch of idiots"
> to me...

Yes, I agree. Since the largest ISPs are all preparing their own
IPv6 Internet access services they are not likely to support people
who try to stretch out IPv4-only networks by adding lots of long
prefixes to the DFZ.

--Michael Dillon