[ppml] IPv4 address and routing slot markets

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Oct 29 12:06:09 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Bill Darte" <BillD at cait.wustl.edu>
> Please tell me simply what keeps those who wish to de-aggregate
> their available blocks beyond that which ARIN will sanction...from
> using the gray or black market to do so.

There is a theory that a non-trivial number of ISPs will filter at ARIN's
defined prefix lengths, and therefore deaggregation beyond those lengths
will be pointless unless one only wants the block(s) for private use --
which none of us should care about.

Of course, if ISPs are willing to accept black/gray market /24s in /20
space, they'll get what they've asked for (i.e. routers falling over).