[ppml] ripe-55/presentations/bush-ipv6-transition.pdf

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Oct 26 12:42:01 EDT 2007

> I believe that Randy's point is that an open market will
> likely result in availability of address blocks to all ISP's,
> both large and small, and this might not happen in some of
> the possible choices before us.

This debate is ten years too late. Maybe more.

As for IPv6, all ISPs can get a /32 or more if that is not enough.
And there is no impending shortage of /32s either.

And I still maintain that there is insufficient liquidity for
an IPv4 market to form. Most IPv4 addresses that have been allocated
are locked up in networks, and cannot easily be released for resale.
Releasing IPv4 addresses is not cost-free and buyers would have to
pay a hefty premium to get those addresses. This would drive prices
too high and that, coupled with shrinking supply of IPv4 addresses,
would result in liquidity collapse if a market did attempt to form.

--Michael Dillon