[ppml] ripe-55/presentations/bush-ipv6-transition.pdf

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Oct 26 11:16:55 EDT 2007

At 10:58 AM -0400 10/26/07, Howard, W. Lee wrote:
> > and, given a choice of
>>   o un/itu/... regulation
>>   o national government regulation
>>   o regulation by the rirs
>>   o an open market
>> i strongly suspect that the latter will produce as 'fair' a
>> distribution of resources as any of the former.  (remember,
>> current arin distribution has over three quarters of the
>> resources going to just ten members.)
>
>It may sound kind of bad, but why is it bad for ten large ISPs
>to aggregate routes for assignments to their customers?

I believe that Randy's point is that an open market will likely
result in availability of address blocks to all ISP's, both large
and small, and this might not happen in some of the possible
choices before us.

/John

p.s.  Of course, depending on the particular rules of the "open"
market, there can be a higher probability of block fragmentation
since there's more value in providing (n) sites with unique blocks
than one site with a block (n) times larger.  Smaller ISP's may be
better able to obtain blocks of addresses in such a situation, but
still be the first routes dropped when the fragment routing begins.