[ppml] IPv6 assignment - proposal for change to nrpm

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Oct 25 16:34:08 EDT 2007

The devil is in the definition of need.

I have 10 point to point T1s.  I need 10 IPv4 /24s since I assign a /24 to
each circuit.  That is the problem, you see.

"Need" is elastic.  If someone is fighting for every /24 they can get,
they might even be using unnumbered, grudging even 4 IP addresses for
their point to point links.

I just did a support call this morning with a customer who has a
site down in SBCGlobal territory.  They needed a static IP on a DSL
line.  They were assigned a /29.  SBC uses Westell DSL model 2701
DSL modems that are configured in these instances to act as routers,
burning up 4 IP numbers at minimum (assuming the customer used a /30
mask, which they aren't doing)  So, while all the customer
needed was a single public IP on their firewall, and their firewall
could speak pppoe, the setup is the sbcglobal Westell speaks PPP to
SBC and wastes a /29 on it's ethernet interface.

It's incredibly wasteful.  Why are they doing this?  Beats me - but
do ya think it might have something to do with the possibility that
those numbers are out of 76.192.0.0/10 and SBC is doing some hedging
internally?

How much would anyone want to bet me that in 5 years if the customer
still has that line, that SBC will be knocking on their door telling them
they can renumber into a /32 and "save a bunch of money"

What, no one willing to take any sucker bets?

>If we did a straw poll of folks favoring
>carrots vs. sticks, I'm quite sure the former would outnumber the latter by
>an overwhelming margin.

In a perfect world, yes.  But when you actually start LOOKING at what
the hell is HAPPENING out in the real world you will turn up PLENTY
of stories like the one I just cited, and I think you will be getting
the sticks out and tossing the carrots a lot faster than you think.

Ted