[ppml] hegemony, was Re: IPv6 assignment - proposal ...

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Oct 24 15:01:45 EDT 2007

stagnation is a loaded, emotional term that has no place in this
discussion.

>Competition yeilds innovation.

Which is not always good.

>Policy which obstructs competition also
>obstructs innovation.

Which may be good.  Why don't you ask the citizens of the State of
California if competition has been a Good Thing for their electric
rates?

>This means that policy which prevents small
>operators from competing is bad (or at least unfortunate) policy.

Your trying to very crudely imply that small operators suffer from
stagnation.  This is absolute rubbish.  It's rubbish in industries
like farming and the food industry where small farmers who aren't
using all the "innovation" of genetically modified crops are producing
better tasting and healthier food.  And it's rubbish here as well
where a steady-state market can do good things like not requiring
small operators to mortage their futures by continually throwing away
and replacing perfectly good hardware and software.

>Folks in our industry should never forget that the early deployments
>of 300 baud modems had to be shoved down the 800 lb gorilla's throat.

I don't.  Did you even ever OWN a 300 baud modem, Bill?  I'll bet
you didn't.  I did - a $150 direct connect modem, a fine, advanced
piece of equipment, undoubtedly scrap in a landfill today.

>Ma Bell didn't much like the idea of devices she didn't make being
>connected to her network nor did she like the idea of selling those
>devices instead of leasing them. She predicted dire consequences,
>maybe even the collapse of the telephone network, if any random
>vendor's device could be plugged in.
>
>And when told by the courts that she was damn well going to do it
>anyway, she figured out how to make it work after all.

You obviously have never worked a tech support line at an ISP.  I
hardly call the state of modems today to be "working"  Go search
on Google for "conexant chipset negotiation problem" then come back
here and repeat that with a straight face.

Ted