[ppml] IPv6 assignment - proposal for change to nrpm

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Oct 24 02:55:50 EDT 2007

>  -- address run-out -- How much longer could the existing address
>     space last if we could allocate a block of space that is
>     appropriately sized for an end-user's needs?

There is no danger of IPv6 addresses running out anytime soon.

> If we play towards the router implementations, aren't we
> setting routing policy de facto?

ARIN cannot set routing policy because it doesn't run the routers. But
ARIN can and should understand how our policies impact routing.

--Michael Dillon

P.S. the reason that some of us write IPv4 and IPv6 all the time is to
make it clear what type of IP addresses are under discussion. If you
check the subject line of your message, it says IPv6 but in your text
you don't mention either IPv4 or IPv6.