[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Size Reduction

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Oct 22 15:44:50 EDT 2007

> If we collectively get out of v4 mindset, we can do some
> seriously creative things in v6.  Let's not reimpose v4
> restrictions on the world, which is exactly what this
> proposal does.

Let's not forget that the world of computers and networks does not stand
still. With virtualization environments it is possible to build real
networks of dozens of virtual machines and routers on a single physical
computer. If I am sitting at home with a /48 allocation, I can have all
kinds of virtual machines, each of which requires a real, globally
unique routable IP address, on my network.

With IPv4, the widespread use of this type of virtualization is not
possible without hiding behind NAT. Using the IETF's IPv6 architecture
with a /48 per end-site, it can be done by everyone.

--Michael Dillon