[ppml] IPv6 assignment - proposal for change to nrpm

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Oct 22 15:30:31 EDT 2007

> Speaking as an ISP..  albeit a small one,

Right, so ARIN will give you a /32 when you ask for IPv6 addresses.

> my plan (when
> customers start asking for IPv6) is to grant all customers
> who request more than a host subnet a minimum of a /120, and
> to be very liberal in allowing shorter lengths.  I will have
> no problem giving a customer a shorter prefix if they tell me
> they have a couple thousand toasters in need of IP addresses.

So what are you going to do with all those extra /48s that you are
hoarding? There is no shortage of IPv6 addresses and since you are a
small ISP, it is hard to imagine you running out of /48s anytime soon.
So please tell us why you plan to hoard most of your allocation unused?

And don't forget to explain how a SMALL ISP can justify allocating 200
/48 assignments to other organizations within 5 years when that small
ISP actually plans to allocate a /120 to most customers. Or will you lie
to ARIN's hostmasters.

--Michael Dillon