[ppml] IPv6 assignment - proposal for change to nrpm

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Oct 22 04:34:26 EDT 2007

> I think you have mistaken me for Keith Medcalf whose
> assertion that legacy /24 holders should receive a /64
> confuses me as well. They should receive a /48 IMHO, just
> like every other PI assignment. That's not an engineering
> requirement but it is a best practice.

When this comment first came up, it sounded like the original
writer was just explaining that he would need a MINIMUM of
an IPv6 /64 in order to implement the same kind of network
architecture that he had with an IPv4 /24.

Some people view /24 as a class C block which is what you
use on a local area network connected to a router. This may
be a simplistic view, but it is widespread and the people
who hold this view tend to think of /24 as the smallest
IPv4 subnet size. In that context, comparing a /24 in IPv4
to a /64 in IPv6 makes a lot more sense.

Personally, I think that when someone is faced with a
beliigerent poster who repeatedly demands answers to a
specific narrow question, it is best to ignore the questions.

--Michael Dillon