[ppml] IPv6 assignment - proposal for change to nrpm

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Oct 22 04:28:55 EDT 2007

> (1) The IETF does not recommend use of specific prefix lengths;

This is flat-out UNTRUE!

RFC 3177, which references RFCs 2374 and 2450 says this:

   In [RFC2374] and [RFC2450], the IETF's IPNG working group has
   recommended that the address block given to a single edge network
   which may be recursively subnetted be a 48-bit prefix.  This gives
   each such network 2^16 subnet numbers to use in routing, and a very
   large number of unique host numbers within each network.  This is
   deemed to be large enough for most enterprises, and to leave plenty
   of room for delegation of address blocks to aggregating entities.

That is not only a recommendation on the use of specific prefix
lengths but it also includes and explanation of why, especially if
you read it in context of the whole RFC.

The author admits that he has no relevant experience whatsoever in
this field so, although we probably can't stop him from chattering
away on the PPML list, we can and should ignore him.

--Michael Dillon