[ppml] IPv6 assignment - proposal for change to nrpm

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Fri Oct 19 11:42:42 EDT 2007

On 10/18/07, Scott Leibrand <sleibrand at internap.com> wrote:
> This change is not wise.  For better or worse, IPv6 was designed with
> the last 64 bits as the "host" portion of the address, and there are a
> number of IPv6 features (such as address autoconfiguration and
> cryptographically generated addresses) that need those bits to
> function.  We should not be issuing guidelines that encourage ISPs to
> assign addresses in such a way as to eliminate the ability to use such
> features.

Scott,

I concur. ARIN should not offer guidelines which conflict with the
IETF's adoption of /64 as the standard subnet mask. On the other hand,
we shouldn't discourage such use either. I've heard more than a few
excellent arguments that the adoption of /64 as the netmask was ill
advised and should not be followed.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--