[ppml] PPML Digest, Vol 28, Issue 51

mack mack at exchange.alphared.com
Thu Oct 18 23:29:56 EDT 2007

This is not workable for a number of reasons.
1) It is in direct conflict with current RFCs.
2) It is in direct conflict with current auto-configuration implementations.
3) It breaks under at least one major vendors implementation of IPv6 when certain functionality is used.

Quote from vendor documentation:
If the compress mode is on, the IPv6 address is compressed similarly to the EUI-64 compression method (removal of bits [39:24]) to allow for the Layer 4 port information to be used as part of the key used to look up the QoS TCAM, but Layer 3 information is lost.

In practice the loss of data in these bits is inconsequential as they are a specific value (0xFFFE) or manually configured.  Manual configuration can set these to a known constant. I personally use (0x0000 or 0xFFFE).

Any change that significantly breaks current hardware under a common configuration is a very bad idea.

--
LR Mack McBride
Network Administrator