[ppml] Posting of Legacy RSA and FAQ

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sun Oct 14 07:27:22 EDT 2007

At 3:52 AM -0700 10/14/07, Randy Bush wrote:
>John Curran wrote:
> > The terms of the current RSA include both of these
>> as well.  We tried to stay as close to the current RSA
>> as possible (for fairness to existing members), with
>> the addition of the language which recognizes the
>> legacy holders status with respect to policies which
>> might otherwise reduce their rights.
>
>section 9 is a wonderful example of rights reduction.

One can look at it that way, but it comes along with 10(b)
which states:  "ARIN will take no action to reduce the services
provided for Included Number Resources that are not currently
being utilized by the Legacy Applicant."

This may be an example of rights enhancement; particular
if one considers that it effectively undoes existing language
of RFC2050 regarding underutilized resource reclamation.

One trades the present undefined state for an agreement
which provides clarity for the legacy holder's ability to use
their address space, have access to ARIN services for data
record maintenance, and not be subject to future policies
that would reduce their rights.

There is a policy proposal active (2007-15) which would
require a Legacy RSA agreement, so the Board took the
action to prepare the necessary agreement.

/John