[ppml] [arin-announce] Legacy RSA

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Oct 12 15:11:21 EDT 2007

NO, of course not.  The reason why is that hardly anybody now is advertising
IPv6.

But when most people out there advertisng IPv6 then I would assume
that people who are paying for IPv4 assignments will have an incentive
to return them and stop advertising them and stop getting billed for them.
Everyone, that is - except these legacy IPv4 holders who are STILL going
to be faced with "I either got to IPv6 and start paying a lot of money
or I keep using my free IPv4 and try to convince the rest of the world
to continue supporting them."  If the legacy holders don't do anything
they will greatly increase the amount of advertisements and cause a lot
of people to delay switchover, that is the drag I'm talking about.

Same goes for these "free 900,000+ /24 held by Xtra Large members"
your referring to - although we are having a fee discussion on them
as I'm sure you may have seen the prior posts on.

ALthough it is a little early to get into this because IPv4 runout
hasn't happened, you do realize of course that once IPv4 runout does
happen, we will have to put into policy, incentives to get people
to stop using it and to switch to IPv6.  Fee adjustments are the most
obvious.

Ted