[ppml] [arin-discuss] Legacy Legal Defense Fund and Legacy Registry

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Oct 12 13:44:11 EDT 2007

Not commenting on Dean's suggestion, but to clarify one bit:

On Oct 10, 2007, at 11:21 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> As to an alternate registry, I think such an action is very premature
> and unnecessary.  I also think that it would be unlikely to succeed
> or get buy-in from IANA or DOC, whichever one you choose to believe
> has theoretical control of said address space.

If I understand what is being suggested, IANA or US government buy-in
is irrelevant.  Anyone at any time can create their own IP
registration database.  What matters is whether or not anyone
(particularly ISPs when they determining whether or not to accept a
customer's assertion that the customer "owns" the address space being
presented to the ISP) looks at it.

Regards,
-drc