[ppml] Global Policy Updata

Mark Elkins mje at pop.co.za
Mon Oct 8 14:14:25 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 15:12 -0200, Roque Gagliano wrote:
> I wanted to give you all an update on the discussion of the "Global
> Policy for the Allocation of the remaining IPv4 Address Space" before
> heading to Alburqueque.
>
> As I mentioned on the policy proposal the text of the policy allowed
> to have two discussion: is such a policy needed? and what should be
> the size of the last allocation form IANA?.
>
> We have made a great progress in the first issue and some in the
> second.
>
> Here is an update:
>     - LACNIC, the policy reached consensus.
>     - APNIC, there was consensus that a global policy for the
> allocation of the remaining IPv4 space such as this one was needed.
> Not consensus on the size that allocation or the text.
>     - AFRINIC, idem APNIC.

A bit more on this as far as AfriNIC is concerned. Regarding what the
size of the last allocation should be.. a show of hands was asked for.

For the size to be either one or two "/8's" - the votes were equal. For
sizes larger than two - there were no votes. ie - we equally chose one
and two.

I might read this as being - AfriNIC does not feel we need more than two
"/8's".
I think we (AfriNIC members) understand that we do not want IPv4
addresses years after the rest of the world has run out, has moved over
to IPv6 - and left Africa even further behind.
I don't think many AfriNIC members would mind that much either if other
areas chose and got a value greater than two (ie five) and we only had
two.

Disclaimer: This is my own interpretation of what happened. I speak for
myself.
--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE