[ppml] ARIN IP conservation and FREE IP Addresses

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Sun Oct 7 11:09:25 EDT 2007

On 10/7/07, desterdick at verizon.com <desterdick at verizon.com> wrote:
> the multiple mergers that formed what is now Verizon,
>(first Bell Atlantic and NYNEX, each made up of multiple
>separate Bell Operating Companies, then GTE and then
>MCI and other miscellaneous companies that have been
>acquired or spun off along the way), there has been both
>organizational and network consolidation.  However, there
>are still multiple separate corporate entities within the
>Verizon umbrella, along with multiple separate organizations
>managing multiple autonomous networks.

Mark,

Yes, Verizon has had a great deal of difficulty and delay merging its
operations in a sensible manner. Given the performance, one wonders if
the regulators were asleep at the wheel when they approved the latter
acquisitions.

However, that is not at issue here. The 50 meg line I ordered is
classic UUnet - AS701. The Ashburn data center was built by UUnet
shortly before the Worldcom buyout. Architecting that part of the
network so that customers could not easily move their IP addresses was
no accident of consolidation. It was a deliberate choice to leverage
provider aggregatable space in a way that harms the customers of what
is now Verizon Business.

That this behavior is not as foul as the choice by the business unit
that does FiOS to monetize individual IP addresses does not make it
any less offensive.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--