[ppml] ARIN IP conservation and FREE IP Addresses

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sat Oct 6 19:38:41 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Paul Vixie" <paul at vix.com>
>> I do think it is reasonable and in line with the mission of ARIN to
>> execute fees that are in addition to the existing fees that would
>> go to support a robust education program aimed at objectives
>> like, legacy recovery, IPv6 understanding/adoption, etc.
>
> i've likewise heard randy bush's claim (most recently at the
> chicago IEPG meeting) that public funding has helped push IPv6
> deployment in asia.  am i to assume that the "public funding"
> mechanism being recommended here is a "sin tax" administered
> by ARIN?  (that feels like mission creep, but before i say whether
> i think it's good or bad, i'd like to be sure i'm understanding
> what's been suggested.)

In case that is in fact true, I would like to state for the record that I am
against ARIN collecting any form of "sin tax".  ARIN is chartered to do
specific things and collect the revenue necessary to pay for them.  If we
feel ARIN needs to do more things, then we should let the BoT worry about
how to pay for them after we achieve consensus on those new activities.  We
should not "tax" people and then try to figure out how to spend the money;
there are plenty of examples of why that's a complete failure of an idea.

I do think the collection of current cost-recovery fees is broken, but that
position has nothing to do with a "sin tax".