[ppml] ARIN IP conservation and FREE IP Addresses

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sat Oct 6 18:01:53 EDT 2007

In a message written on Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 02:16:57PM -0700, David Conrad wrote:
> Um.  Where are these ARIN meetings in which these "hundreds if not
> thousands" of companies are participating?  The ARIN meetings I go to
> (and the e-mail discussions I see) have the same few dozen of people,
> most of which are funded by their very large corporations to attend
> said meetings.

The ARIN meeting in Puerto Rico had 149 attendees, per the list on
the web site.  Based on the organizations given they represent about
115 entities.

Beyond that, the directives to the AC are quite clear:
http://www.arin.net/policy/irpep.html

] Following discussion at the ARIN Public Policy Meeting, the Advisory
] Council will evaluate the proposal for community support based on
] comments from the Public Policy Mailing List as well as discussion and
] polling from the meetings. The Advisory Council review will normally
] take place within five days of the conclusion of the Public Policy
] Meeting. Comments on the Public Policy Mailing List are given as much
] weight as those made at the Public Policy Meeting, as it is recognized
] the mailing list provides access to the process that does not require
] physical presence at a meeting.

So the AC considers every post on PPML, there's no requirement to
go to the meeting.

Looking at my own PPML archive, which goes back about a year and
half I get 403 individual "From:" addresses in posts.  There is
some overlap with people who attend meetings, but it's not 100%.
Perhaps my thousands was a bit off, but it seems like 450 is a
likely number.

Still, it's more than enough that 10, or 20, or even 30 megacorps
would probably not be able to get a policy passed that everyone
else opposed.