[ppml] ARIN IP conservation and FREE IP Addresses

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sat Oct 6 16:24:53 EDT 2007

In a message written on Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 03:06:07PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
> 100 votes is 15%. That's more than the swing on most proposals. It
> only costs $50k.

Policy proposals are never voted on.  The AC decides that there is
community consensus.  The cost of an attempt to sway the vote in
such a way is virtually zero, it simply requires people to post
their support on PPML.

I believe, although someone may correct me if I'm wrong, the only
thing we ever vote on is to elect AC members and BoT members.  Those
elections are the only thing you could attempt to buy in the manor you
suggest.

In a message written on Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 03:23:36PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
> The "Local Internet Registries" do. If you're a SOHO or hobbyist
> customer its not unusual to pay anywhere from $10 to $60 per IP
> address per year for as much as 32+1 static IP addresses.
>
> Why should a Regional Internet Registry, one step up the food chain,
> not charge the LIR's $1 per IP address per year? Fair's fair, right?
> They charge the end users per-address so why shouldn't ARIN charge
> them the same way?

My point is those are for profit companies, and they charge what
the market will bear.  That's in stark contrast to ARIN, which is
a non-profit who's charter is specifically to be a stweard of the
address space.  Plus, ARIN charges more for larger IP blocks due
to the administrative overhead, why shouldn't for profit companies
do the same for users?  It does take more engineering effort to
manage static IP's than to just throw another subnet into a DHCP
server.