[ppml] IPv4 Soft Landing - Discussion and Support/Non-Support Requested

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Oct 5 13:40:14 EDT 2007

Ed,

On Oct 5, 2007, at 7:32 AM, Edward Lewis wrote:
> As an aside - if we delay the run out of IPv4 by 12 months, is
> there an indication that the obstacle to IPv6 will be removed in
> that 12 month period?

Unlikely.  The obstacle (IMHO) to IPv6 deployment is that it doesn't
solve a problem anyone thinks they have.  However, with that said,
the IPv4 Soft Landing proposal does try to go around this obstacle
(see below).

> If it is the routing system, will 12 more months improve/strengthen
> it?

No.  I always thought the RIRs didn't focus on routing.

> (I guess I have never understood the rationale for "rationing" the
> remaining IPv4 addresses.  They aren't a consumable {water, oil}

An interesting assertion.  I'd argue the IPv4 _free pool_ is a
consumable. It is the free pool that will be rationed, either
incrementally (via increased requirements) or in a binary way
(yesterday: yes, you can have your address space. today: nope. no
more address space available, period.)

> and the last won't tide us over until there's a rescue.)

The point of any "soft landing"-style proposal is to attempt to buy
more time for folks who need it to make the transition by imposing
some form of rationing.  In my proposal the rationing is based on
increased requirements to document ratcheted up utilization.  My
proposal also goes a step further in that it attempts to encourage
IPv6 deployment (given it seems the general consensus is that moving
to IPv6 is better than increased proliferation of IPv4+NAT).

In the ideal world, the increased restrictions on obtaining IPv4
would impose sufficient additional administrative (or other) cost
that when taken in the context of the encouragement of IPv6, would
reduce the barriers for ISPs to deploy IPv6 despite there being
insufficient customer demand.  In other words, the goal is to create
an environment that breaks the IPv6 chicken-and-egg problem.

No other proposal I am aware of attempts to do this.  To be honest,
the two other proposals you mention feel a lot to me like rearranging
deck chairs on the Titanic -- shuffling where the End Days free pool
resides might encourage investment in unanticipated places but it
does nothing to either extend the lifetime of the free pool nor
encourage the transition to IPv6.  Neither proposal hurts anything,
of course, rather I just don't see what advantage they bring.

Regards,
-drc