[ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Oct 5 07:41:32 EDT 2007

At 9:00 AM +0900 10/5/07, Randy Bush wrote:
>if arin does not want to carry out its commitment to the community and
>to the USG when it was chartered [0], i am sure the community can find
>an organization more interested in public service.

Intestesting enough, the presentation specifically includes
commitment to following RFC2050, and RFC2050 states:

 "The IANA reserves the right to invalidate any
 IP assignments once it is determined the the
 requirement for the address space no longer
 exists. "

I imagine there'd be a lot less discussion on not providing
services to the legacy community, if indeed we're were
indeed following the original guidance.  One can reiterate
that those assignments predate the RIR's, but they certainly
don't precede the IANA, who was both an RFC2050 author
and ex-officio trustee of ARIN.  Either they're bound by this,
and we can't change the rules at all, or they're not and it's
perfectly reasonable to revise other assumptions in handling
legacy assignments.

/John